Jun 26, 2013

Favorite Vacation Link Up

I know I haven't been around lately - great way to start off a blog huh? Unfortunately life is kind of in the way right now, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a link up!



button


I don't have too many vacation stories. When I was young we didn't take vacations. I'm not sure if this because my parents didn't have the money to spend, or they just didn't WANT to spend it. Either way, our big vacation every summer was to take the two and a half hour drive down to Columbus and walk around Ohio State. My dad would stop by his fraternity house and take a trip down memory lane. Then we would spend a few days staying with one of his friends who still lived in Columbus. Real fun and exciting huh? 


So when I was a freshman in high school, one of his friends had moved to Florida and he decided the family could take a trip to Disney. I was 13 and my sister was 11. We spent one day at the Magic Kingdom, and one day at Epcot, and then we spent the rest of the week at his friends house. Again, not so much fun. I guess at least we weren't in cold Ohio at the time, but the warmest it got when we were down there was 60, so it definitely wasn't beach weather.

 (And obviously it was COLD!!)



And the next most exciting vacation in Stephanie's world was Italy my senior year. It was seriously amazing. If asked where I would want to travel I would most definitely answer ITALY (again). But this isn't the top of my list for several reasons. 
1 - It was a school trip. For art class. We had official tours for EVERYTHING. 
2 - I didn't have any close friends in art class. So while it was great, I didn't get to experience it with someone I was close to.
3 - Pretty sure this trip is the sole reason I have problems flying today (anxiety!!)

(It was pretty fantastic though) 



Finally, my absolute favorite vacation - Hilton Head my sophomore year of high school. Every year my dad took a "business trip" to Hilton Head. I knew this meant he played golf, but since it was with customers, work paid for it. Well luckily for us, the trip fell on our spring break that year, so mom convinced him we should go as a family.

(First trip to a Japanese Steak House. And I'm the pickiest eater in the world. I think I hate plain white rice, but still had a blast!)


It was by far the best vacation in my mind because of the time we spent together as a family. For starters, I had never experienced my dad so relaxed and fun. My parents, my sister, and I were all in one hotel room, but it was a suite. We had a kitchen, and I got to sleep on the pull out couch and watch TV all night. When you walked out the hotel room the pool was RIGHT THERE. And we went to the beach. And we played putt putt. And we really got along as a family. Even though we drove down, and I almost killed my sister in that 16 hour trip, I spent some amazing time with her that trip, and really appreciated her as my sister. Even after she took this picture.

Several disclaimers here. 
1 - I was a swimmer. Grew up in a speedo 24/7. For me to wear a "two-piece" was extremely out of my comfort zone. I SEARCHED for one that covered my big boobs (hence the sports bra style).
2 - Because I wore a speedo all the time, my stomach had never seen the light of day. But I was determined to turn into a "real" teenager and wear that damn "two-piece."
3 - What you can't see is my hand print on my stomach because I didn't rub the sunblock in well enough. 
4 - Yes, I was a teeny tiny twig with a super cute body and had no idea. . . . If only I could go back. 


And that pretty much sums up my vacations for my (almost) 30 years of life. If you didn't already notice, I haven't had any vacations since I've been an adult. There is a good reason for that - It's too EXPENSIVE. Well I guess the real reason is anxiety about getting on a stupid airplane. . . . . I will take a nice RELAXING vacation one day. It will just have to be in driving distance. Or after I've taken a sufficient amount of Xanax. 

Now go link up with Holly and Amy while there is still time left!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to go to Italy someday! Looks like you've had some pretty great vacations. Thanks so much for linking up with Holly and I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Italy sounds amazing, but I would have felt the same way without having someone close to enjoy it with.

    And I agree with having no idea just how skinny we were back then. Then I start panicking because if I feel this way about myself now, will I look back at my body TODAY and think, "dayum girl, I had a nice body in 2013!"

    ReplyDelete